Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Variegated,silver and gold leaf. Part 2

The second set of videos on using Leaf:

I am going to take a few lines here and explain a few things, I am not a guru or the man behind the curtain, 
I just enjoy making baits. The Blog, pictures and now video, is just what I do, Good, Bad, or Indifferent.
I make contradictory statements about what I do, because it is a learning experience for me like anyone else.
There are things that change as we progress through the learning curve. That is probably what keeps me going, learning, seeing something new or different that I want to try and make.
 OK, enough there.

If you have not already gone through the members list and looked at what everyone has to offer, you are missing out on an opportunity for information and to expand a bit. There are a lot of really cool lures and thoughts out there, enjoy.

This is the second set of videos on using leaf on lures.  

Back ground music is ( Jack Johnson )








I have done leaf baits a few times already, but like a lot of things, the more you do, the more you tend to understand the product,  limitations, and the process. On this batch I realized that the tack time is critical to the finish of the leaf. I have mentioned before that the gold leaf seemed to let the adhesive bleed through if it was not set. Well, the gold just shows it the worst. With this set of lures I did a silver first and it was still to wet, then one gold which was almost ready, then another silver. The third bait was set perfect, and the result was amazing .
The silver leaf looked exactly like a foil, very bright and laid on perfectly. There was a huge difference in the clarity of the leaf. 
Doing four at a time is not what you want to do. Glue one up, wait for it to get close to tack, then glue another one and let it tack up while you are working on the first one. This is of course if you want to work on more than one at a time.
Seems like I hear my Father a lot " Do as I Say, Not as I Do "

If you are going to try some pattens, put the bottom or belly leaf on first, wait a day or at least 5 hour's. Then put your pattern on, this will be an overlay in areas and new in others, but will eliminated blank spots and bleed through.

It really is about information, use it as you will, at your own risk and maybe some interesting results.
Using the leaf products, is rather simple, if you do not try it you are missing out on some great looking baits that are really easy to accomplish. Having fun at what you do, is what it's about. Catching fish on your creation is the perk! 

( Keep it in the Water )    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type Questions or Information Here.