Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hard Plastic for 2013

Well, it has been a while since anything new has happened here and I am sure that some of you picked up on the lack of post. Last year was a bust for me , as far as actual fishing. The only Muskie I saw was a floater. This is mainly due to very little Time on the Water. Which just so happens to be a very good book to read by Bill Gardner,

I have hundreds of lures, of which a couple hundred are ones I have made. The past few years I have been obsessed with the idea of only fishing with my bait's. This then spiraled into the need for different types of bait's. So I started making more, and different types of lures. Now I have even more bait's.

So, at the end of last year I decided that I would take the hand full of lures that did not run right, for what ever reasons and tweak them. This would minimize time working on baits and lend more time to actual fishing. These lures are mostly the small jerks and gliders from last year. This will entail some better weight positioning and line tie adjustments. I have my plan for 2013. More Fishing!

Then, Frank finds the hard plastic body blanks from Tackle Industries and Lure Parts on line. This is partially due to trying to save some time for fishing and yet still create something unique for yourself. I enjoy making the wood lures and the action that comes from the wood, but I think both Frank and I will enjoy a little more Time on the Water.
Now we both have about 24 hard plastic bodies, unpainted. Not fitting into my plan very well? I put a few together for our last outing and I really like the action on them. They are all proven baits to start with, just had to convince my self. So, in trying to figure out how I could minimize the time I put into these baits.
I decided to foil all of them. The pictures are a few all ready started. My thought is to use a very thin line of color on the backs, light candies for highlight and a thin line of color for the bellies. Most will probably be aluminum foil with a few Leaf and the candies used to change the tone. I should be able to have them all foiled and ready to paint by the time it's warm enough.

Note: we live in Illinois and build our lures in the garage. Weather is not our friend!

11" Mag Shad, 9" Nokken and 10"Jake


6-1/2" Super Cisco

11" Mag Shad
I picked up a small box of Amazing Clear Cast at Hobby Lobby ( original formula and probably old ) but I want to see if it will coat the foil without hazing it. This will also give a good protective coating to the foil, I hope!

Keep it in the Water

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type Questions or Information Here.