Saturday, September 8, 2012

Last run of lures for 2012


Well we managed to get one more batch in. Frank felt he needed more baits, so I finished a couple more for myself. A couple of pictures of the same baits ,different angles to show the tape colors.













Lures and tail hook dressing

More of the same


Something different

More tail hook blades

Rear hook worm barb

Another rear blade


We have been fishing with dressed rear hooks from just about the beginning. I put a lot of confidence in the idea and have hooked quite a few muskie on the rear hook only. At the very least it  needs a worm, that's where the second to last picture comes in.
In the past I would bend a light gauge wire in half, run it through the eye of the treble, down the shank, bend the tag end back onto the shank and wrap it with thread. The free end, which is extending out a little further would then get a loop bent in it. I would then use the Hitch Hiker ( worm spring  ) to attach my worms.
I prefer this method rather than what is in the picture. To me the jointed connection gives the trailing worm it's own action separate of the bait and not just a squirmy flat piece of rubber.The picture is of what I came up with trying to eliminate wright. It is the same gauge wire but it is bent in half, ran through the eye, down the shank and then twisted, kind of like a haywire twist. Pick the length you want clip it off and bend the two tag ends back for the worm keeper.This eliminated the thread wrap and the Hitch Hiker, which will all play into letting me put some hair on the rear hooks. This is so simple and fast I can't believe I didn't think of it before.
The rear hooks with blades came from seeing the two tag ends and thinking, why not. This will probably be too much weight for my baits but I want to see how they work.
Things to consider:
Deer hair works with just about anything and doesn't absorb much water.
Marabou unless very fluffy looks like a worm when it's wet and soaks up water, also likes to stick to worms.
Flashabou, Mylar very light, no water retention, but will tie a worm up.
Chicken feathers,( hackle ) very light. very little water retention and you really only need a few.


Some 2012 all dressed up
This is the remainder with tails and a few bucktails rejuvenated, I wanted to take with. A couple of big tens and a few # 8 Fluted Colorado. With the exception of one double prop top water, everything is something I have made right down to my leaders. Goal accomplished, no store bought baits this year.

All dressed up

Same as above

A few old bucks turned into new ones

Same as above


( Keep it in the Water )


No comments:

Post a Comment

Type Questions or Information Here.