Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Musky Baits in primer and tape

Well I finally put them all in primer and just a few with some tape just to show what they will start to look like. There is also one perch photo finish over gold leaf. The extra time came in because, I decided to install all the eyes before paint. I chose to use the forstner bit and give the eye location a little relief. In the past we put the stick on eyes after paint, no drilled in spot. I didn't want to have to play around with the eyes after paint this time. I used stick on label dots to cover the eyes from paint and also tried a liquid mask. The dots work just fine and the liquid mask ( latex ) did as well , just takes more time to apply. The dots did wrinkle a bit, and I did remove them, clean the eyes from any primer  and reapply new dots for the finish paint.
Keep in mind that none of this needs to be done ,unless you are trying to get the best possible finish you can.
I have not finished anything in envirotec as of late , just because of weight. Once I tank test this batch I will know if I can add any weight.
Garage Baits
click on photo to enlarge
















Everything was weighed using the Archimedes dunk test and taken to the neutrally buoyant point. At the time, not all my eyes were in and I was giving 1 gram for eyes, 2 grams for paint in total and nothing for tape. The majority of these baits will have tape on them. Well the tape didn't amount to a gram, that is good. But the primer was between 2 and 3 grams. Come on, how much could paint on a lure possibly weigh! Now I know. I did make note off this in the bible and will see what the finish coats add in.This can all be rectified with some lighter hooks if need be, just wasn't my plan. I will fill the tank and test them out when all is done. Sinkers or floaters! 
The good news is, I have a few 3/4" aspen jerk - glide baits that this error in thought, will work ok with.
As for the Aspen baits, I will stick with Pine. The aspen was a bit hairy ( raised grain ) through out the process. The propionate always laid it down and smoothed it out but just not worth the effort if you have pine.
I will also be finished mixing the propionate with acetone. I don't care for the nature of acetone and I have used lacquer thinner a few times with equal or better results. Just a bit friendlier. We use Sunnyside and Squeak Kleen thinner a lot.    
The tape jobs are prism tape, I think this adds the most possible amount of flash to a lure. Even with a 5" bait you can put a nice metallic flash into it. Normally I put the tape on the bait and trim it to size using a single edge razor. Hit the edge with some sandpaper, wipe it down with thinner and give it a couple coats of envirotex spray or a good acrylic. After that scuff with a pad and add color.

I have played around with gold leaf, foil and photo finishes a bit and other than trying to imitate a fish with a photo finish or a scale pattern with foil, prism tape is pretty easy for the flash you get from it. With Kandies
( transparent paint) the tape can take on endless color changes.
WTP, witch craft products has a great selection of prism tapes. There is more than the red, green,gold and pink pearl scale patterns.    
As a little update, it was 102 degrees and 40 percent humidity in the garage today , I made it to 3:00 and called it quits. The beer was getting warm before I could drink it!

( Keep it in The Water )


2 comments:

  1. what type of primer do you guys use. Even after double/triple sealing I still at times have the wood grain come through. The blanks are sanded very smooth. I use popler. Could that be the problem ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The primer is a 2K automotive,called (Mason). We don't rely on just primer though,a good 24 hour soak in propionate has done the best at sealing wood grain.After that you can also do 3,4,5,or 6quick dips to really encapsulate the bait.The propionate needs to set at least 24 hours before primer.If they are smooth coats ,you only need to scuff for two coats of primer.Poplar should be fine.Always look for the tightest grain, Aspen has been the worst. Good Luck.

      Delete

Type Questions or Information Here.