Friday, January 27, 2012

Garage Baits , Musky Lures for 2012

Well the Harper Show has come and gone, Frank and I did manage to make the rounds. As with everything, you could see how the economy has affected our hobby. There were a few cool baits, Cow Girl had some smaller blades and flashabou tails that are ideal for early spring or a smaller presentation, A few of these will be put into the works, they didn't have the colors I wanted in the little ones, so I will buy the flashabou and make our own. There are also a lot of nice soft plastics, I will have to see if that's something I want to try doing. Frank did get a few pics of some nice paint jobs I will also try to do. All in all, it still remains a force in driving me to do and create more, I love it.
So, other than the one offs that I make, I will start my plan for production.
The group baits are usually about a half inch thick and flat sided, no matter what the length is. This is really due to the action on the fourteen and ten inch baits we make and like. Last year was the first time we made smaller and different shaped baits as a group. Al and Mike still have 80 baits unfinished !!
I will start making some new patterns for six and eight inchers and stick with the old tens, twelves and fourteens. Consider what type of lip design is appropriate for each and put my list together. The other consideration will be if I am going to do thru wire or screw in . Might have to fire up the die grinder and do lips and bend wire.
I think there will be a need for more chrome this year, just because it's cool and the paint detail at the end is minimal. That's not to say the prep work for a good chrome job is easy by any standards.There will also be a strong presence of prism tape,  it worked well last year, and has great flash. Saw a lot of it at the show,we made ours in the beginning of 2011? This just goes to prove again, original thought last about three minutes in the fishing world.
As a group, we will set our goals and determine the needs for wood and other supplies and set the wheel in motion.
I did meet Tom and Bryan at the Harper show, two guys who are interested in building some Garage Baits with us this year. Not sure how this will play out , they burn things down for a living??  I am preparing and have ample fire extinguishers on hand.   I would like to share some photos of Tom's paint jobs that he had sent Frank.







To me, this is what it is all about. You take what you have and make it something different. The art of customization. Tom, definitely has a step up on most of us with the ability to paint his thought. I hope that Tom and Bryan do join in this year so there becomes a platform for total creativity.  Looking forward to a interesting spring making Garage Baits.

We have to set a date soon for everyone to meet, and put the list together for new materials. Not sure if Mike and Al need any wood! 



(Keep it in the Water)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type Questions or Information Here.